Bread Pudding Recipe!




This week's recipe swap is for a classic, comfort food - BREAD PUDDING! This recipe orignated from my ML (mother-in-law) who is a fabulous cook. Our local bakery owner revamped her recipe of bread pudding using day-old cinnamon rolls or donuts from her shop. This is a favorite at our church's potluck!! SOOOOO! I've tried this way - substituting donuts for the bread and OH MY!... I get dreamy-eyed just thinking about it! LOL!

Bread pudding -it's nostalgia. For me, it's a yearning for a simpler time, when dessert was made from a few common kitchen ingredients. Ya know, walking into a house and smell the cinnamon and vanilla coming from the oven. Sniff, sniff! (Almost as good as a roast in a crock-pot...) Can ya tell "I love to eat?" hahaha! Bread Pudding is truly a soul-satisfying treat that a wide-variety of people crave. Nothing beats warm bread pudding on a cold or rainy day. Do you agree? What do you like? Please share...


Bread Pudding

2 cups whole milk
1 cup Sugar

2 Eggs, beaten

2 cups Milk

2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice

2 teaspoons Vanilla extract

4 cups bread, torn into small pieces ( or 5-6 reg. sized DONUTS!! YUM!)

1/2 cup raisins (optional - my boys would DIE if I included raisins - hee hee!)

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl (sugar, eggs, milk, spices and vanilla). Add bread and raisins; mix well. Turn into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Serve with sauce .

Let's talk about sauce for the bread pudding... there are a LOT of recipes out there! My ML makes a vanilla, or lemon or caramel (all are VERY good) - if you use DONUTS - this will be very "sweet", so.... I like just a basic sauce, IF one at all. This week my family had the bread pudding BEFORE I could even make a sauce - hee hee! We do love our "bread pudding". Here this a basic custard sauce recipe:

Bread Pudding Custard Sauce

3 Eggs yolks
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Cornstarch
3 cups Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla

Combine yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a microwave-save dish. Microwave for 4 minutes, stir and microwave for 4 minutes more. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth; microwave for 2 minutes until thick. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm or chilled with bread pudding.


Here are my APRIL card swaps - AGAIN! (FOOD) Finally used a stamp set (from Gina K, I think!) that I've had for at least a year... cute - but no use for a cookie/baking cards UNTIL NOW! This is a CASE card... thought the glass of milk was so clever - and this card can be used for either a man or woman! Here's a link to the others - check it out! They are SO CU-TE! May's swap is for a wedding... HELP! Got any ideas? Share... please!


Here's a shout out to my FAMILY! It seems we only get together at funerals... argh - not fair, huh? Is your family gatherings that way? Life is so FULL, that we only get together when someone has passed... I didn't get to go to this funeral (only one day left and it's taken for next Friday - pooh!) but my husband took my mom and they both headed to the big town of Rotan, Texas yesterday! So here is a SHOUT OUT to all of them (Hey! Joy Elaine - you and hubby "totally" made my husband's day - thanks for being so sweet!) LOVE & MISSED SEEING YOU ALL! Take care! (And there WAS a geocache at the theatre in downtown Rotan that KV could've got, darn! - LOL!)

Also a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our "Cinco da Mayo" baby-girl GRACE! She turned 2! WOW! Can that be? Hey PC - gift is in the mail. Please, please, please video when she opens this and turns it on... expecting some funny faces and expressions with this gift! Have a great party on Saturday - Wish we were there - LOVE & KISSES!

Hope all is well for you and your family! With 3 weeks left in the school year - things are flying left and right - STRESS is high - but there is also a light at the end of the tunnel - is that "summer" - LOL! Thanks for stopping by and have a great day! Hug the ones you love the most!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THOSE CHOCO CHIP cards are TOO Stinkin CUTE!

Stephanie Harbin said...

Your cards were wonderful!! Margie guessed them all!! Bread pudding sounds great too. You are such a sweetheart. I cased my wedding card from soemone else, and I am not telling!!