The Necessity of Having a Hobby or Two

 **This writing is a part of my Abydos Writing Workshop that I am currently enrolled in!  


  
The Necessity of Having a Hobby or Two

The 2020 COVID pandemic has increased anxiety and stress to such an extent that some experts warn of a looming mental health crisis. Mayo Clinic has offered this solution: "Enjoy hobbies that you can do at home." After all, "a distraction can get you away from the cycle of negative thoughts that feed anxiety and depression," and doing "something positive to manage anxiety is a healthy coping strategy." During this pandemic, numerous experts encourage people to return to the hobbies they have left behind or to pick up some new ones. We now have ample time at home while we are enjoying social distancing.

For many of us, these pandemic days became hectic. In my world, I became quarantined during Spring Break in March of 2020. My husband and I are both teachers, and our youngest son of three returned home from the university to finish his semester asynchronous. I worked the many roles of a daily teacher, wife, mother, lunch lady, and maid. Finding a "new" daily routine proved difficult, as each of us was virtually teaching, attending ZOOM meetings, grading homework, and watching the ever-changing news on social media. Cramming in new technology skills and resources became the norm after school hours. All around the world, families were making moves into a new way of life. It became a time filled with pressure and confusion.

I had to set boundaries for myself and my schedule. To take care of my mental health, I had to set aside time to unplug from teaching, work, and duties. With the help of numerous naps, Netflix binging all the shows that I never had time for, I turned to my art. I was an art teacher for 25 years. I used this time to recommit to my art. I've been creating art my whole life with a variety of media. It has made my daily life better.

Hobbies are a great way to disconnect from work and break away from the monotony of daily schedules. Even though it may seem daunting to add one more to your to-do list, having a hobby has proved to be a stress reliever. Hobbies are often thought of as activities for people who lead quiet, relaxed lives. However, people with full, busy, even stressful lives may need hobbies more than the average person, and benefit greatly from having hobbies. Hobbies bring many benefits that usually make them more than worth the time they require.

There are many benefits to having a hobby or two. Different types of hobbies offer different kinds of uses. Physical hobbies have clear physiological benefits because they increase your heart rate and brain function; other services include lower blood pressure, weight loss, building muscle, strengthening bones, and an overall energy increase. Geocaching (my favorite), hiking, camping, swimming, yoga, or martial arts are some physical hobbies.

Mental and emotional hobbies come in a variety of things and projects to do. Hobbies decrease stress by relaxing you and taking your mind off the more pressing concerns of daily life like work and paying bills. Also, hobbies can give us a sense of mastery and control. Our esteem level tends to rise as we feel ever more accomplished at a particular task. Our family trio, along with my son's girlfriend, has all picked up crocheting! We watched instructional videos, collected new project ideas, and even had competitions with different stitches and project completions. We have added a new hobby to our list!

Finding a hobby that boosts your creativity may be just what you need. Hobbies inspire us to tap into our creative side. Hobbies can be especially helpful for people who have no creative outlets at their work. Engaging in a creative hobby can help train your brain to be more creative in other areas of your life. I enjoy creating cards, and I am a part of a monthly card swapping group. Some hobbies can provide a way to save or make money. For example, to save money, you can refurbish items you find at a garage sale or grow vegetables. To make money, you can sell the photographs you take or the cakes you bake. Hobbies are essential to having a well-rounded life.

Saving some time for yourself to enjoy a hobby can provide the physical, mental, emotional, and creative benefits that make life more meaningful, relaxing, fun, and beat the "COVID Blues." Regardless of which hobby you choose, the benefits of engaging in a hobby will likely surprise you.

No comments: