Here's our family recipe swap for the week - both boys will be entering the 4-H Food Show this week and they wanted to share each of their recipes!
Alex will compete in the Side Dish division with his recipe for a "Vegetable Oven Pancake".
This is a very colorful dish with lots of veggies! If you have a garden - you could use this recipe often!
VEGETABLE OVEN PANCAKE
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place butter in a 9-in. pie plate; heat in a 450° oven until melted. Carefully tilt pan to coat bottom and sides. In a bowl, beat the flour, eggs, milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until puffed around the edges and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the broccoli, green pepper, tomato and onion in water for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. Add pepper and remaining salt.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over pancake; top with vegetables and remaining cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Cut into four wedges; serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Aric's recipe is in the Nutritious Snack division with the "Perfect After School Snack - a thick tuna salad on a mini bagel!
PERFECT AFTER SCHOOL SNACK
(Tuna Salad on a Bagel)
- 1 can (12 ounces) tuna, drained
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup creamy Italian salad dressing
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 6 plain bagels
- Lettuce leaves
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut the bagels in half horizontally. Place lettuce on bottom halves; top with tuna mixture. Replace top halves. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy! If you see the boys - wish the luck for Sunday! They've still got to make their Food Display and study... Have a great week! Thanks for stopping by! Hug the ones you love!