Changing my attitude!


It’s Sunday, so that means worshipping with my church family - which I LOVE - but it’s just SO HARD to get there - in the building on Sunday morning ... thinking the devil works that!

Then it’s washing clothes, paying the bills and plan this week’s menu for the day (we had church/eat/church today - no evening service). Luckily, I was able to slip in a nap and some down-time before the week ahead blasts through and there is no time for stopping or even thinking until next Sunday!

So, it was nearly midnight when I lay in bed and trying to get myself asleep - Kyle and I start talking and I finally let it all out:

“I don’t want to go to school anymore!

I just want it to be summer!”

Gasp. Sniff. Whimper.

It didn’t matter that there are “at least” two major activities PER DAY this week. It didn’t matter that there is a mere nine school days from the bliss of summer freedom. All I know is that, I want to be home and safe and wearing pajamas, and all of that would change at 5:55 a.m. tomorrow when Kyle’s alarm clock rings and my bliss will end. Kyle confides in me that he has the same feelings... as a teacher this seems so wrong, but

“We don’t want to go to school anymore!”

I was tempted to tell us both that we’d be just fine and the next two weeks was going to fly by, but I remembered the words of Gretchen Rubin in her book, The Happiness Project when she says, “that acknowledging a person’s feelings can actually help them get over them.

So, rather than saying, “Honey, it’s late. You’re tired.” I ran my fingers through his hair and said, “I can tell you are so frustrated to think about going back to school tomorrow.”

“I ammmmmmm!” he complains.

“I am too and I’m so sorry, I said.

Then I gave him a kiss on the cheek and he was asleep before one could say overly exhausted.

But you see, here’s the secret. I feel just the same as that of Kyle. Bring on the sunshine. Call off the routine. I’m ready for lazy days and long, hot evenings. I want to walk barefoot through the green grass of our backyard, swim then dry out in the sun, work in the yard, make cards like crazy and read books at absurd hours of the afternoon. Why do we have to go to school anyway?

Well, thank goodness. In two weeks, we don’t.

So I’ve decided that I kicking it into HIGH GEAR!

My attitude will be contagious and I’m changing mine into a positive one. I’ve gone back and redone my menu and included everyones’ favorite recipe or meal somewhere in the week - I’ve planned special treats and surprises too - hopefully get everyone into a better attitude and enter the summer with SMILES and a more positive outlook.

Will it work - who knows! But I’m going to try! Here’s to a GREAT two weeks of school - watch out!




1 comment:

Jenschke Family said...

Awwww, girl! You inspire me.....I so needed this post today. Here lately, I go home in a slump and sit in my chair pouting about how busy we are and have no time. Then off to bed and up at 5:00 a.m. just to hit it again. I have already started taking down my classroom because I am done! :( Finished reading a book aloud to my kids today about a 3rd grader headed to 4th and I got a little weepy much to my surprise. Sooooo instead of pouting and whining and just consuming more energy than I have I will "buck up" and just do it! Thanks for the idea of everyone's favorite meal also...great idea to show my family that they are still #1!