Eating SKINNY for 2012



It's not just a New Year's Resolution...

it's a GOAL for my family to eat better - for life!



Hoping to also lose weight... I've got my 30 year reunion for high school this summer (I know, I know... 30! - I did graduate at the age of 10 - NOT!) SO! I've got to "shape up" - and to fit into jeans again... so eating "skinny" is a must + exercise!



EXERCISE (yuk!) We love playing the xBox "Kinect" - looking into different software to monitor and exercise with - any hints, comments, ideas? Very interested in "Your Shape" fitness program - around $30... the WII fit is much more $$ along with getting the Balance Board + program... Still doing some research - would love some feedback!


SO! We are always are looking for new recipes... I've added some new food blogs to my list for stalking! I've added SKINNYTASTE, "A Year of Slow Cooking", and "Debbie Does Dinner... Healthy & Low Calorie" (and of course my new BFF) PINTEREST for new recipes. Trying to find good, SKINNY recipes - oxymoron??




We are trying NEW things in our diet!



This week, it's QUINOA - known for it's healthiness and nutritional value -adding it to a traditional Stuffed Pepper Recipe instead of rice this week... I'll share if it's any good!



Also, found a Chayote Squash at our local Wal-Mart... ever heard of it? Me neither... SO! I grabbed 2 and found a recipe to cook 'em up! If you have any recipes and know how to prepare this... let me know, please! Will let you know about that experience also!





This recipe swap today is not a pretty recipe - but very hearty. My boys enjoyed this... even when they didn't think so! LOL!



Let me explain... it has fresh spinach in it, and KV HATES spinach - but was able to tolerate and even enjoyed this dish - plus, getting a shot of healthy, nutritional value from it! It was a ONE pot dish also - served with a crusty bread. Found this recipe on PINTEREST - love, love, LOVE this website!



On a cold winter night, this recipe hit the spot. This recipe was easy to make, easy clean up and the boys were satisfied! It reminded me of a german potato salad dish that Andy made for a food show competition one year. Very tasty - give it a try!



Potato Kielbasa Skillet Recipe




4-5 medium-sized Red Potatoes; cubed

3 Tblsp. Water

3/4 lb. Kielbasa; cut into 1/4" slices

1 Tblsp. Olive Oil

2 Tblsp. Brown Sugar

2 Tblsp. Cider Vinegar

1 Tblsp. Dijon Mustard

1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme

1/4 tsp. Pepper

4 cups Fresh Baby Spinach

5 Bacon Strips; cooked & crumbled



Placed cubed potatoes and water in a glass dish and microwave on high COVERED for 4-5 minutes (until tender); drain. In a large skillet, saute kielbasa and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add potatoes; saute 5 minutes long or until items are lightly browned. Combine the brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, thyme and pepper; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil - reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes UNCOVERED. Add spinach and bacon; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Enjoy! Serves 4



Hope you are having a great week, so far! We are giving out semester tests here in the big C-Town! Starting a fresh, new semester on Monday... It's going to be a great year! Thanks for stopping by! Come back often -



Remember to hug the ones you love the most, until next time...