Food! Glorious Food!


**This writing is a part of my Abydos Writing Workshop that I am currently enrolled in!   
  


     Food!  Glorious food!  Food that makes me happy.  Food that creates a squeal of delight!  Food that holds surprises and treats for the tongue, mouth, and body.  Food that creates a fabulous memory for the future.  Food aids to set the mood of the festivities.  Food adds to the fun and fellowship of gatherings.  The importance of food!

     Food is needed daily for nutritional purposes for our human body.  A daily intake of food - of GOOD food is essential for the well-being of life.  The consumption of the wrong food can lead one down a path of ill health and "large" being.

     Comfort food is a favorite food category that I adore.  Your favorite food can bring on a comfortable feeling from a pleasant memory of times pasted.  As a little girl, my father would always "whip up" his famous potato soup when anyone in the family was ill.  It was merely a boiled chunk potato soup of milk and butter broth, but it was the love and care he included in the recipe that made this soup the very best comfort food ever.  This soup was always the perfect remedy for any illness.  I still make it today for my family.

     Food can transform the body.  When my husband had a heart attack in 2016 at the age of 46, though this was a life-altering catastrophe, I was prompted to research and find a remedy and did so with success in food.  My research brought up the fact that food has astounding results in reversing heart disease.  My husband was overweight and held a multitude of bad genetics that led to this attack.  But my style of "Country Southern" cooking had also aided in the bad habits of eating unhealthy.  My mantra began, "I got you into this mess, I can get you out...!"  So, with a huge lifestyle change of eating only a plant-based diet and the grace of God, major changes have occurred with dramatic results in his life and body.  

     Some of my favorite foods include a crunchy grilled cheese sandwich that is filled with oozing plant-based cheese served along the side of a bowl of piping hot tomato soup.  This ensemble is best served on a rainy afternoon along with a sour pickle spear!  Cornbread dressing, gravy, and creamy mashed potatoes bring on a holiday mood.  These foods are always served at Thanksgiving and Christmas times.  Times often shared with family, friends, and cold weather.  Cotton candy reminds me of carnivals and the circus.  Popcorn is for movies and dark theaters.  Soft pretzels with a side of tangy mustard is a must with a mall shopping adventure.  Allsups burritos hold fun memories of midnight runs when my sons were little and in the summertime when our daily routine had reversed; mixing up our days and nights!  Never-ending chips, hot sauce, and a variety of delicious Tex-Mex entrees bring on the fun and fellowship mood of friends gathering together at a local restaurant.  

     Along with restaurant gatherings, home gatherings for a time of playing family favorite games or watching videos together would often include everyone's favorite snack food to be eaten by the fingers as you mingle, talk, and laugh.  Grazing the plethora of hors d'oeuvres that may include little smokies swimming in smokey BBQ sauce or wrapped up in cheese and biscuit dough.  The classic Rotel cheese dip served with corn tortilla chips, jalapeno poppers, stuffed mushrooms, the list goes on...

      What are some of your favorite foods and stories that go with your choice of morsel?    

Food! Glorious food! 

No comments: