Week 15 out of 52


For the Year of 2012
- I've been reading a chapter a week from the book
"52 Small Changes"
by Brett Blumenthal.
It's taking "baby steps" to making a better, healthier and happier person!


It's been a great learning tool, as well! As I climb up the "Giant Hill of Life" - okay - as I'm beginning to "slide down" the giant hill of life - LOL - I'm more concern about the maintenance of my body and the care and healthy of my family.

It's all about the small changes - that you add S.L.O.W.L.Y. that can make the difference in the overall life. Ok, okay - I'll stop and get down off of my soapbox... with all this in mind - I've added and taken away a lot from my daily routine... adding in "green" products and taking away the bad "harmful" products - that cost A LOT more than the green/homemade!

Homemade Tub/Shower Cleaner

30% DAWN dishwashing liquid
70% Vinegar (white distilled)

Mix up in a spray bottle

I used this mixture on my bathtub and the boys' shower - it does SMELL STRONG - so I opened up the windows; I sprayed it on and left for a while for it to do it's "magic" and then just it rinsed off! It removed the soap scum off of the shower door - AWESOME! Here is the link where I grabbed this recipe! I will be using this new/cheap/awesome product a lot!


Homemade Stain Remover
(comparable to SHOUT)
2/3 cup DAWN dishwashing liquid
2/3 cup Ammonia
6 Tblsp. Baking Soda
2 cups Warm Water
Mix everything together in a spray bottle. Use on stains before you wash.

I spray the stain and let it stay awhile and then wash; as normal. Here's the link of my BFF Jill where I got this recipe! My big problem is not seeing the stain in time and after you DRY the stained garment - the stain is usually set and WILL NOT come out. If you know any secrets - PLEASE share!

I like to use BLEACH - gasp! I like the smell after sheets are bleached and washed... I use it for dishwashing and to clean my kitchen. But BEWARE - ammonia and bleach DO NOT mix... So - I try to watch out for safe keeping with these two products! I know - oxymoron - here I am talking about going "greener" and still using ammonia and bleach (harsh chemicals) - I'm trying, but not perfect! LOL!

Here's the next recipe that I've found and made - it's an "Oxi-clean" copycat! Found the recipe here at this link. It works!

Homemade Oxiclean Recipe

1 cup Water

1/2 cup Hydrogen Peroxide

1/2 cup Washing Soda

Mix all ingredients together and store in a dark spray bottle.

Hydrogen peroxide looses its effectiveness if stored in a light container. Ever wondered why it was packaged up in a BROWN bottle? Now, we know! LOL

To use: Spray on soiled laundry and let it sit overnight. Or, if you have a number of clothes that are soiled, you make up a batch of this and soak them in it overnight. I just fill up my sink - soak then transfer to the washer. Then, launder as usual with my homemade laundry soap & fabric softner - for recipes of those; check here!

I've got more on the list to try - will post later with results! Always like to share! Hope you give these a try and go a little "greener" in life! Anything that eliminates the harsh products - has got to be better, right?

We are gearing up for baseball for Aric, Alex has his last track meet tomorrow and will be judging POULTRY over the weekend w/FFA! Piano is on the agenda to concentrate on this month (Apr/May) - we have 4-H Round Up - Share the Fun and "The Judge" in May - both boys have got to get it together with practicing and memorizing their 10 pieces on the piano! Wish us luck!

Thanks for stopping by - hope that you found something useful here today - I've got a new "14 Day Trial" that my 2nd son and I have been doing in washing our face with OIL - yep! OIL - Check back soon and I'll share the details!

Also I've got some card designs - a faithful follower of my blog stopped and encouraged me for more cards! I was thrilled to oblige - so that's on the agenda too!

Hope you are having a great week - wishing you a FABULOUS day! Remember to hug the ones you love the most, until next time...